Every story has a silver lining. Cancer, although often treated as an ending, can be a beginning for many. Let it be your catalyst to live your life to its fullest, whether you or a loved one have been diagnosed. Individuals with cancer all over the world have chosen to find the silver lining in their story and change their life permanently. This positive mindset can be one of the most important aspects of finding a healthy outcome, and most importantly, ensuring you have a better quality of life during and after cancer. Share with us to help inspire hope for others. What is your story? How are you making the most of this moment?
Guidelines: How To Write Your Story
We encourage patients, survivors, and caregivers to submit your stories. Your story should provide an overview of your or your loved one’s journey with cancer (e.g., How did you feel? What was your treatment plan?) and demonstrate what Cancer Positive means to you (e.g., How did you stay positive throughout? What do you want others to take away from your experience?). The questions below may be used as a guide when writing your story; caregivers may also use these as a guideline and put them into their own perspective. Stories are approximately 600-800 words.
- Can you describe how you felt, what you did, etc., at the time of your diagnosis? How old were you?
- How did you discover you had cancer? What type of cancer do/did you have?
- What was your treatment plan? Did you have to undergo surgery? (Try to keep this simple for those reading who may not understand the medical terminology.)
- During treatment, how do/did you feel physically? Emotionally? How did you stay positive?
- Whom did you turn to for support? What role did they play in your treatment and recovery?
- Was there a moment before, during or after treatment when you felt particularly challenged? How did you overcome this challenge?
- Are you still living with cancer? Is your cancer in remission? How long has it been?
- What impact has cancer had on your life? How has it changed you?
- How do you represent Cancer Positive?
- What message would you like to share with others?